This Sunday, we concluded the series Rediscover Christmas where we have studied the attributes of Christ. Pastor Alicia delivered a powerful Word on the fearless love that Jesus brought into the World and into our lives. We learn that love unites all people and is a bridge builder. This is demonstrated by the diverse people that are brought together by the birth of Christ.
Focus Scriptures: 1 John 4:7-16, 18-19; John 13: 34-35; Matt. 5: 43
The biblical account of Christ incudes contrasting individuals:
- Zechariah/ Elizabeth & Mary/Joseph (the Prophets and covenants of Israel’s past/fulfillment of the promised Messiah)
- The Shepherds/The Angels (the beings of Earth/beings of Heaven)
- The Magi were noble, wealthy and humble Gentiles that were in stark contrast with Jewish leaders of the time. The Magi represent Christ bringing salvation and restoration to all people.
Jesus’ birth unites all of humanity and God reveals His love in the following ways:
- Christ is love embodied. (God is love and the Bible is His love story. God promised a Messiah to unite all of humanity.)
- Love defines and propels us. (Jesus commands us to love one another; the world will know we are followers of Christ by our love for others. )
- Love empowers us to cross the borders. (We must continue to love those who are different from us. Jesus instructs us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. As detailed in the story of the Good Samaritan and the Samaritan woman at the well, Jesus teaches us to reach across cultural, racial, and social divides to love others.)
There is humility in loving others and putting the needs of someone else before our own. Love is at the heart of the Christmas Season and love is the gift that Jesus shares with the World.
How has this Series helped you to rediscover the meaning of Christmas? Please share with us in the comments.