This Sunday, Pastor Alicia delivered an inspiring and encouraging message from Week 5 in the Revival Series. We learn the powerful lesson that God will always triumph and prevail over the wicked plans of Satan. This is demonstrated in Ezra’s recount of an alliance by King Jehoshaphat that nearly wiped out the Davidic dynasty and the promise of a Messiah.
Focus Scriptures: 1 Chr.17:10-14; 2 Chr. 21:1-4; 2 Chr. 22:1-2, 10-12; 2 Chr. 23:3, 12-15, 20-21
The following series of events depict a war in Heaven played out by relationships here on Earth:
- The Lord promised a descendant of King David would always rule Israel;
- and He also promises the Messiah would come from the line of David.
- Ahab (King of Israel) forms an alliance by marrying Jezebel (a princess from Sidon who worshipped Baal).
- Jehoshaphat (King of Judah) marries his son Jehoram to Athaliah (daughter of Jezebel and Ahab) to form another alliance.
- After succeeding his father as King of Judah, Jehoram kills all his brothers to eliminate competition.
- The Phillistines kill all Jehoram’s sons except Ahaziah.
- After Ahaziah is killed, his mother Athaliah destroys all the remaining royal heirs of David.
- But one son (Joash) was saved and hidden for 6 years. Joash is named King and brings an end to Athaliah’s reign.
We see that God will always defeat the Enemy’s wicked plans. We must remain close to the Lord, and be careful when forming relationships with others.
How does this lesson help you remain confident in the Lord during times of hardship? Please share with us in the comments.